***ORIGINAL SPELLING HAS BEEN RETAINED***
RAPHOE, in the county of Donegal, is a small neat town 107 miles, north, north-west of Dublin, twelve south, south west of Derry, six south-east of Letterkenny and eight north, north-west of Ballybofey. Raphoe was made an Episcopal see by St Eunan about the middle of the sixth century. In the eleventh century the cathedral was erected on the ruins of the church of St Eunan; and in 1636 Bishop Leslie, aided by government, built the palace, or rather castle, which is a handsome structure, and commands an extensive view of the neighbouring country. In the rebellion of 1641 this palace withstood a long and vigorous siege. A round tower stood here, and a monastery founded by St Columb. The royal school, founded by King Charles the first, is superintended by the Rev. James Irwin, as well as a very extensive diocesan library attached to it. The munificent Bishop Foster founded an asylum here for four poor clergyman’s widows which is under the direction of the bishop for the time being and produces to each £50 per annum. The town of Raphoe is tolerably well built and possesses a dispensary, a market house and a dissenting meeting house. The general market is held on Saturday and large markets are held on the first Saturday of the months of January, February, March, April, November and December. The fairs are the first of May, the 22nd of June, the 27th August and the fourth of November. Population about 1,000.
POST OFFICE – Post Master, MR SAMUEL KERR. The Dublin mail is despatched at a quarter before seven in the morning to Strabane, and returns at 35 minutes past five in the evening. The Letterkenny mail leaves this office at 40 minutes past five in the evening and returns at half past twelve at night. The Stranorlar mail departs at a quarter before six in the evening, and is due at three in the morning. Office hours from seven in the morning till eleven at night.
GENTRY AND CLERGY
|ALLIOTT||Rev. Richard, D.D.||Rector|
|BISSETT||Right Rev. Dr. William Lord||Bishop of Raphoe|
|IRWIN||Rev. James, A.M.||Master of the Royal School, and librarian to the Diocesan Library|
|KELLY||Rev. John., P.P.|
MERCHANTS, TRADESMEN ETC.
|ROULSTON||James||Surgeon to the dispensary|
|WILSON||William||Solicitor, seneschal and registrar of the consistorial court|
SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, ETC.
|BOYLE||Charles||Boot and shoemaker|
|GALBRAITH||William||Grocer and publican|
The Derry mail goes through Strabane to Dublin daily.
Cars may be hired to convey goods to Derry and the neighbouring towns.