Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry & Fermanagh Ireland Genealogy Research

Official Website of the Mailing List


Killyman Parish, Cos. Tyrone & Armagh, Northern Ireland in 1837
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

Transcribed, Compiled and Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

KILLYMAN, a parish, partly in the barony of O’NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, but chiefly in that of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (N.) from Moy, on the river Black-water and the road from Belfast to Dungannon; containing 7,579 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 10,559¼ statute acres, of which 3,154¾ are in Armagh, and 7,404½ in Tyrone, and of which 7,729 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £8,534 per annum. The land is exceedingly fertile, and the system of agriculture improved; there is abundance of bog, and on the lands of Dungorman a quarry of red sandstone, which is chiefly used for building and for flags. The river Blackwater for nearly two miles forms here a boundary between the counties, and after separating those parts of the parish which are in opposite baronies, falls into Lough Neagh; it is crossed by Verner’s bridge, a handsome structure of one arch, with others on each side, forming a continued causeway, which is frequently overflowed, leaving only the central arch visible above the river. The surface is marked by numerous elevations, the highest of which are Drumina, Roan hill, and Lowestown, the valleys between which are good meadow land. There are extensive meadows along the banks of the Blackwater and the Roan, and at Bernagh is an extensive wood of full-grown oaks, which, with the plantations of Roan hill and the other woods and plantations in the parish, has a very fine effect. Lime-stone, freestone, basalt, quartz, clay, and clay-slate are found in abundance; there are also indications of coal. In the sandstone near Roan hill are interesting specimens of fossil fish entirely perfect, with the fins minutely distinct. The gentlemen’s seats are Bernagh, the residence of the Hon. Mrs. Knox, a handsome mansion on the great line of road; Church Hill, the seat of Col. Verner, a spacious and elegant residence, situated in an extensive and improved demesne, and commanding a fine view of the river Blackwater; the Grange, of Miss Thompson; Grange Park, of H. H. Handcock, Esq.; Brookfield, of H. Atkinson, Esq.; Rhone Hill, of T. Greer, Esq.; Tamnamore, of Jackson Lloyd, Esq.; and Crane-brook, of J. Cranston, Esq. The manufacture of linen and cotton is extensively carried on throughout this neighbourhood; and there are three large bleach-greens. At Twyford is a paper-mill, and at Lower Corr, a large manufactory for coarse earthenware, of which there are also others on a smaller scale in various parts of the parish. A manorial court is held monthly by the seneschal of the Lord-Primate, in which debts to the amount of £5 are recoverable. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate; the tithes amount to £484. 12. 4. The church, a neat structure, was erected in 1823. The glebe-house is a handsome edifice, and the glebe com-prises 226 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dungannon: the chapel is a neat stone building, roofed with slate. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 250 children are taught in four public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by £10 annually from the incumbent, and another is wholly supported by Col. Verner; there are also four private schools, in which are about 200 children, and a Sunday school. At Mullinakill is an ancient cemetery, which is still used.