County Tyrone Ireland Genealogy Research

Official Website of the CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List

 

Termonamongan Parish, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland in 1837 Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

Transcribed, Compiled and Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
len_swindley[at]hotmail.com

TERMONAMUNGAN (sic), a parish, in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 11 miles (S. W.) from Strabane, on the road from Pettigo to Newtownstewart; containing 7,253 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Derg, and bounded on the south by the Longfield mountains, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 45,399 statute acres, of which 288 are water, and 28,435 are applotted under the tithe act. The surface is mountainous and interspersed with several small lakes; not more than one-fourth of the land is in cultivation, but the mountains afford good pasturage for cattle. Limestone, freestone, whinstone and grauwacke are found in the valleys, and in some parts are indications of coal. The scenery is beautifully diversified; but the whole parish is deeply secluded, and there are but few gentlemen’s seats: the principal are Derg Lodge, the residence of Sir R. A. Ferguson, Bart.; Lisnacloon, of J. Anderson, Esq.; and Woodside, of the Rev. George Nesbit, the rector. Several new lines of road have been opened, and others are in progress, which will greatly improve the district. Fairs are held in the small village of Killeter, on the 21st of May, July, September, and Nov.; and a constabulary police force is stationed there. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £438. 9. 0, and the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £10 per annum. The church, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £600, is a neat small edifice with a bell turret; it was built in 1822 on a site near the village, and on the south bank of the river Derg. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is at Aughryarn, and there is also an altar in the open air. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster. About 400 children are taught in six public schools; and there are three private schools, in which are 130 children, and two Sunday school.