LANGFIELD (sic) (EAST or UPPER), a parish, in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Omagh; containing, with the market-town of Drumquin (which is separately described), 2,919 inhabitants. The old parish of Langfield was, in 1800, divided by act of council into the two parishes of East and West Langfield; the former portion com- prises, according to the Ordnance survey, 9,716¼ statute acres, of -which 22¼ are water. The land in some parts is good, but the soil is generally light, particularly near the mountains, which, though lofty, afford good pasturage for cattle; the system of agriculture is slowly improving, and there is an extensive tract of bog. Excellent free-stone is found at Claremore, and in several parts of the parish are indications of coal. The principal seats are Drumrane Lodge, the residence of J. Boyle, Esq.; Burle’s Folly, of E. Sproule, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Pilkington. The manufacture of linen is carried on in the farm-houses to a considerable extent. The townland of Magheraney on which is the church, is the property of the Bishop of Derry. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £245. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100, in 1804, is a good residence; the glebe comprises 26 Cunningham acres. The church, which was erected soon after the separation of the parish, is a small neat edifice with a square tower; the late Board of First Fruits gave £500, in 1800, towards its erection, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £254 towards its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish, with that of West Lang- field, forms the union or district of Langfield; there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. About 180 children are taught in three public schools, of which the parochial school, situated on the glebe, is supported by the rector; there are also four private schools, in which are about 150 children. About a quarter of a mile from the parish church are the remains of an ancient church with a burial-ground.
DRUMQUIN, a market-town, in the parish of EAST LONGFIELD, barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (W.N.W.) from Omagh, on the river Roe, and on the nearest road from Londonderry to Enniskillen; containing 406 inhabitants, It consists of one street and some detached houses, which, with the exception of a few of recent erection, are indifferently built and thatched; and was founded by Sir John Davis, about 1617, on a tract of 2,000 acres of land granted to him by Jas. I. in 1611, under the name of Clonagh-more, on which he located 16 British families. He also built castles at Kerlis and at Gavelagh [Garvetagh], on the Derg, at which latter place he had another grant of 2000 acres; and between the two castles constructed an excellent road, seven miles in a straight line over mountains and bogs, which in several places still remains perfect. There is a daily penny post to Omagh. The market, on Thursday, is well supplied with provisions and yarn; and fairs are held on Jan. 17th, March 21st, May 2nd, June 9th, Aug. 15th, Sept. 17th, Nov. 9th, and Dec. 12th, for general farming stock: those held in March and June are large and well attended. Here are a meeting-house for Presbyterians, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, a large male and female school, and a dispensary.