Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry, Fermanagh & Armagh Ireland Genealogy Research
Premier Website for Ulster / Northern Ireland Genealogy Research
Stranorlar Parish Church, St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Stranorlar, County Donegal, Ireland Historical Notes 1690-1870
Extracted from Derry Clergy and Parishes – Rev. James B. Leslie (1937)
Transcribed, Compiled and Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
len_swindley[at]hotmail.com
This file of Stranorlar Parish Church, St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Stranorlar, County Donegal, Ireland Historical Notes 1690-1870 forms part of the vast archive of 4,000+ pages of genealogical records relating to COUNTIESTYRONE, DONEGAL, LONDONDERRY & FERMANAGH provided without charge or subscription by CoTyroneIreland Welcome to the Premier Website & Research Tool for Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry & Fermanagh Genealogy (cotyroneireland.com) A complete list of records pertaining to STRANORLAR PARISH AND COUNTY DONEGAL, IRELAND on this website can be found at the foot of this file.
Stranorlar Parish Church (St. Mary’s Church of Ireland), Stranorlar, Co. Donegal
In 1609 the parish included 4½ ballibetaghs of land “but there is only cemeterial land or a churchyard whereunto belonging” a tenant holds 4 balliboes and pays 6/8 per annum to the Bishop. They are 6 or 7 miles from the parish Church. The Dean is Rector and Vicar and gets two-thirds of the tithes. The Bishop one-third. There is a gort for glebe.
1622. “The parish church is decayed, and is repairing at the Parishioners charges.” In the Civil Survey 1654, the principal proprietors were Wm. Brasill. E.P., 1,267 ad., Eliz. Becke (alias Benson) and Peter, Paul, Basill and Margaret, her children, 1,085 ac., Sir Paul Davis, Knt., E.P., 2,008 ac. Freeholders were: Thos. Dutton, Thos. Carter, Richard Roper, Andrew Leiper. Matthew Davis, E.P., held the church lands in lease from 1634.
In 1661 William Wallis was Parish Clerk, Thos. Parker and John Fferguson, Churchwardens,
In 1679 James Kenney was Parish Clerk and School Master. Henry Nugent and Basill Benson, Churchwardens, and Ellis Griffith, Inquisitor. (Visitation Book).
In 1729 the Church was too small for the congregation ’tis about being enlarged; some parts 9 miles from it. A Chapel proposed to be built for them. Holy Communion four times a year. Robert Pittcairn, Parish Clerk. James Larcan, English School Master, 60 boys; there is also another school at the end of parish.
In 1773, Church enlarged, slated and seated, area of Communion Table boarded; 100 Communicants. Chapel built and restored, not quite finished, 100 congregation in it, 80 Communicants. Chapel is five miles from the Church (Visitation Book).
In 1766 there were 317 Protestant and 632 R.C. families (Parliamentary. Return).
In 1825 the Board of First Fruits. gave £300 to build a gallery to the Church.
The R.C.B. bought it and a glebe of 34a 3r 36p in 1870 for £1,010 0. 7d. The rest was sold for £300
The living was worth £485 in 1837. Manor courts used to be held here.
Further records for STRANORLAR PARISH, COUNTY DONEGAL can be found at:
CoTyroneIreland.com uses cookies to: analyze usage so that we can improve our service; allow our advertisers to provide content of specific interest to each user; monitor usage of our service; detect, prevent and address technical issues; allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so and to provide and maintain our service.
Google uses cookies to help serve the ads it displays on the websites of its partners, such as websites displaying Google ads or participating in Google certified ad networks. When users visit a Google partner's website, a cookie may be dropped on that end user's browser.