Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry & Fermanagh Ireland Genealogy Research

Official Website of the Mailing List


Born Co. Tyrone, Died Australia - Published Obituarie>

Transcribed, Compiled & Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

Name Dates
Arbuckle, Ann b.1832;d.1879
Arbuckle, John b.1749; d.1822
Arbuckle, Margaret b.1815; d.1861
Arbuckle, Martha (nee Green) b.1762; d.1836
Arbuckle, Mary Ann b.1826; d.1855
Arbuckle, Sarah b.1833; d.1908
Arbuckle, William b.c.1790; d.c.1833
Atchison, Samuel b.1831; d.1897
Barnhill, Jane (nee Lowther) b.1804; d.1896
Barnhill, Robert b.1838; d.1866
Barnhill, Thomas b.1773; d.1868
Black, William Robert b.1859; d.1930
Charles, Andrew b.c.1854; d.1932
Darragh, Joseph b.1827; d.1902
Dougharty, Eliza b.1773; d. 1884
Hunter, George b.1812; d.1889
Hunter, George b.c.1840
Hunter, Hannah (nee Arbuckle) b.1815; d.1887
Hunter, William b.1836; d.1894
Marshall, Dr. George d.1888
McElhone, Francis b.1825; d.1860
McGorrey, John b.1832; d.1914
Stevenson, Sarah (nee Arbuckle) b.c.1790; d.1833
Wilson, William b.1830; d.1907

Extracted from THE BRISBANE COURIER, 3 September 1932

The death of MR. ANDREW CHARLES, which occurred in the Warwick General Hospital on August 31, removed a well-known identity of the Inglewood and Yelarbon districts, where he spent 57 years of his life. Born in COOKSTOWN, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND, the late Mr. Charles arrived in Queensland when about 21 years of age. He commenced dairying and farming on the McIntyre Brook, gradually acquiring more land for successful grazing. About six years ago he visited his homeland. His wife died three years ago. Mr. Charles is survived by a family of seven daughters, Mrs. Potter and Mrs. Woodbury, of Yelarbon; Mrs. McLachlan, Texas; Mrs. Dunstan, Buderim; Mrs. Hatfield, Townsville; Mrs. Carlisle, Stanthorpe and Miss Violet Charles, Brisbane, and three sons, Alec, Brisbane; William, Broadwater, Yelarbon, and David, Yelarbon.



ELIZA DOUGHARTY was born in Tyrone, Ireland, the 21st day of August, 1773, and was the leader of the choir in the Catholic chapel, AUGHRAND, [AGHARAN, TERMONAMONGAN] for 16 years. I am sorry to say I do not know more of her life in Ireland. She sailed from Queenstown [Cobh], Ireland, in a ship called the Waverly in the beginning of 1834, and remained in New South Wales till gold was discovered in Victoria in the year 1851. Since that time she has been on all the goldfields of any importance; making The Ovens [Beechworth district, Victoria] her home, or at least what she called her home. She came on a visit to her nephew in Walbundrie about twelve months ago, and remained three months, when she returned to Victoria. She again came to Walbundrie on or about the 1st June, 1884, and died there on the 5th of this month, having all her faculties. She did not complain of pain, although the old lady had reached the great age of 111 years and 15 days. She was attended to in her illness by Dr. Pultney, of Walbundrie; and amongst the gentlemen who called to see her previous to death were Captain Battye, Superintendent of Police, Albury, and several others in the district. The funeral took place on the 7th instant, and was largely attended by the townspeople in buggies, waggonettes, riding and walking.

Walbundrie, 1 September 8

NSW REGISTRY OF BIRTHS DEATHS & MARRIAGES ONLINE INDEX; death registered at Albury as Elizabeth Dougharty, Parents: MANUS DOUGHARTY & MARGARET

Extracted from the AUSTRALIAN TOWN & COUNTRY JOURNAL [SYDNEY], 8 September 1888

DR. GEORGE MARSHALL.-We regret to announce the death of GEORGE MARSHALL, M.D., of Lyons Terrace, Sydney. The deceased gentleman was born in DROMORE, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND, in which place his father was Church of England minister for many years. He studied in the University of Glasgow, where he took his degree of Doctor of Medicine. He began the practice of his profession in the North of Ireland, where he was very much beloved on account of his success as a medical man, the urbanity of his disposition, and the kindness he invariably showed to his patients. The people among whom he practised presented to him a silver service as a mark of their esteem, immediately previously to his departure for Australia. On arriving in this colony he settled in Wollongong, in the Illawarra district, where he had a most extensive practice, and was much respected. Some years ago he left Wollongong; and so had since pursued the practice of his profession in this city. The deceased gentleman was noted for the great kindness of his disposition, his great skill as a Surgeon and physician, and the general excellence of his character as displayed in all the relations of life. He had for many years been honorary surgeon to the Sydney Infirmary, and he was also a member of the Board of Health. His death will be very much regretted by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. The funeral took place on Monday afternoon at the Waverley Cemetery. The hearse was followed by a large cortege of mourning coaches and cabs. The Rev. J. D. Langley, minister of the Church of England, read the burial service. On Sunday last, in St. Simon and St. Jude's Church, Campbell Street, Sydney, the Rev. G. Southby preached an eloquent sermon, commenting on the fact that the deceased gentleman bad been connected with that church as warden for several years, and had been distinguished for kindly acts and moral excellence. He expressed his deep regret at having to announce his decease.



Personal notices extracted from the LONDONDERRY SENTINEL

November 1 1834

SCOTT-MARSHALL. On the 23rd October, by the Rev. Mr. St. George, JOHN SCOTT, ESQ., merchant, Dromore, to CHARLOTTE, daughter of the REV. BENJAMIN MARSHALL, of Dromore, county Tyrone

May 11 1844

SCOTT (MARSHALL). On the 3rd inst., aged 31 years, CHARLOTTE, the beloved wife of MR. JOHN SCOTT, merchant, and daughter of the REV. B. MARSHALL, Dromore, county Tyrone

December 13 1850

MARSHALL. At his residence, Dromore, on Thursday, the 5th inst., the REV. BENJAMIN MARSHALL, at the advanced age of 85 years, fifty seven years a curate, fifty five of which he lived in Dromore, Diocese of Clougher

April 21 1854

MARSHALL-HAMILTON. April 12th, in Pettigo Church, by the Rev. Charles Maude, GEORGE MARSHALL, ESQ., M.D., son of the late REV. BENJAMIN MARSHALL, of Dromore, to JANE, fourth daughter of HAZLET HAMILTON, ESQ., of Pettigo, and Hamilton Terrace, Bundoran [Co. Donegal]

June 6 1856

MARSHALL. At his brother's residence, Lake View, Illawarra, New South Wales [Australia], on the 22nd February last, in his 27th year, ALEXANDER MARSHALL, A.B, T.C.D., of consumption, youngest son of the late REV. BENJAMIN MARSHALL, of Dromore, county Tyrone

July 20 1860

DILL. On the 19th April, at the residence of Dr. Marshall, Wollongong, New South Wales [Australia], of consumption, JOSEPH SCOTT DILL, aged 20 years, eldest son of the REV. JAMES REID DILL, of Dromore, county Tyrone, Ireland

Extracted from THE BRISBANE COURIER, 16 October 1902

A large circle of friends will deeply regret to hear of the somewhat unexpected death of MR. JOSEPH DARRAGH, a colonist of many years' standing, who has held a number of important positions, and who has always been highly esteemed by those who knew him. For many years he lived at Kangaroo Point, where some members of his family still reside; but for some time past his home was at South Brisbane. His death took place yesterday morning after an illness of but short duration, and the shock to his family and friends will be the greater on account of the comparative suddenness of the sad event. Mr. Darragh was born in 1827 in COOKSTOWN, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND, and had consequently reached the age of 75, though apparently retaining much of his vigour and strength to the end. He landed in Moreton Bay [Brisbane] in 1850, and for the first three years of his life in this country he worked as a butcher for Mr. Mayne, who was a relative. Subsequently he started in business for himself at Kangaroo Point, and for twenty- one years he conducted the principal butcher's shop in that part of the city. During this period he was elected an alderman, and for four years represented the Kangaroo Point Ward in the Brisbane Municipal Council. In 1878 he paid a visit to the old country, Europe, and America, including the Paris Exhibition, in his tour. On his return to Queensland he engaged in various business and speculative enterprises, both in Brisbane and Sandgate. For some time, also, he acted as an alderman of the Borough of Sandgate. He was also a justice of the peace. Mr. Darragh married, in 1849, the daughter of MR. CHARLES GRIMES, a resident of Cookstown. Their family consisted of four sons and three daughters. The funeral takes place at 4 o'clock this afternoon.



DEATH which has lately been so-busy in our midst, has removed another old identity from the district, in the person of MR. SAMUEL ATCHISON, of Long Point, Shellharbour, who was well-known and generally respected on this coast. Deceased who was a native of TYRONE, IRELAND, came to this colony in the year 1854, accompanied by one sister. After residing for a while in Sydney with his sister (the late Mrs. James) he proceeded to Maitland, where he also resided for some time. Leaving there he came to Croome, to the estate of the late Mr. John Russell, where he lived until he started farming on a portion of the estate, Shortly afterwards he married the widow of the late Mr. William Watson, of Fox Gully, and removed to Long Point, Shellharbour, where he resided until the time of his death, which occurred on the 3rd July, instant. Previous to his death, deceased had been a great sufferer, having been confined to his ked for about four months. He leaves a widow and a grown up family to mourn their loss, His remains were interred in the Presbyterian Cemetery, Albion Park, the Rev. R. Miller conducting the funeral service.

SAMUEL and MARY ATCHISON arrived in Sydney on the “Ebba Brahe”, January 6 1855 as assisted immigrants (passages had been paid by the colonial government).

SAMUEL is recorded as a 23 year old Presbyterian farm labourer, a native of Astragh (Ardstraw), Co. Tyrone who could read, but not write.

MARY is recorded as a 19 year old member of the Church of England, a needlewoman and native of Glenglass [Glenglush] Co. Tyrone who could both read and write.

NEW SOUTH WALES REGISTRY OF BIRTHS, DEATHS AND MARRIAGES ONLINE INDEX; the death of SAMUEL ATCHISON was registered at Albion Park, 1897; father’s name JAMES, mother unknown


The many friends of MR. WILLIAM WILSON, SEN., of Berwick [Victoria], will regret to hear of his death, which took place at his residence, "Liskierae", Quarry Hill, on Sunday evening. The deceased gentleman was born at FINTONA, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND, in 1830, and came to Australia with his parents in the ship Frankfield in 1841. After a residence at Batman's Hill [Melbourne] for some little time, Mr. Wilson's parents took up a portion of Dendy's Survey at Brighton, where the family resided for many years. Mr. Wilson was one of the earliest pioneers of the Berwick district, having brought the Quarry Hill property in 1854, and on which he resided until his death. Mr. Wilson's two brothers MR. JAMES WILSON, of Berwick; MR. THOMAS WILSON, of Brighton-and two sisters-MRS JAMES BUCHANAN and MRS J. HUGHSTON-came to Australia at the same time, and survive him. Mr. Wilson was in his 77th year at the time of his death, and leaves a widow and family of two sons and two daughters.


The “Frankfield” arrived Melbourne 1841. The passenger list records members of the Wilson family:


Given name



Native Place

Read & Write






Co. Tyrone

R & W






Co. Tyrone

R & W






Co. Tyrone

R & W






Co. Tyrone

R & W






Co. Tyrone







Co. Tyrone




On the 15th instant, a digger who, for some time, had lived on Cabbage Tree Hill [Creswick], died at Mr. Quinn's residence, Cabbage Tree Flat, whilst sitting in a chair. The particulars of the case have been stated to us as follows:-FRANCIS McELHONE, a native of COOKSTOWN, PARISH OF KILDRESS, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND, a miner, had been for some time complaining of pain in his bowels and casual attacks of dysentery. He was advised to send for a doctor, but declined. On Friday or Saturday one of his neighbours told him that it would be better for him to go to the Ballaarat Hospital. He replied it was too late. On Saturday last he paid a visit to Mr. Quinn, the owner of the brewery at Cabbage-tree Flat. McElhone took possession of a chair close to the fire, and placed his head between his hands-a position in which he had been observed sitting some time previously, and which, therefore, did not create particular attention. One or two other visitors dropped in, who inquired after McElhone. Mr. Quinn pointing to the chair, replied, "There he is" On their approach they could not get any answer from the occupant of the chair, and found that life was extinct. There was no inquest held, and deceased was buried the following Monday, the funeral being respectably at tended. It was known in the neighbourhood that not only must McElhone be in possession of some money, but also that there was in existence a promissory note for £150, which he had lent to a friend a few months ago. Search was soon made, and there were found planted, under the fireplace and in different parts of the tent, £500 in two bank deposit receipts, one promissory note of £40, and another of £30 ; also twelve nuggets of different sizes, and £11 in bank notes. The promissory note for £150 did not then make its appearance, but on shaking the bedtick the following day it fell out. After a diligent search, "a gold watch and two large nuggets, which were known to have been in possession of deceased, were not discovered. Deceased, it appears, died of disease of the heart. (Creswick Advertiser)

VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT GAZETTE JULY 14 1865: Estates of Deceased Persons in the Supreme Court of the Colony of Victoria: FRANCIS McELHONE, a native of Ireland, value of estate £245.5.11



One of the three surviving members of the Stuart expedition of 1861-2, MR. JOHN McGORREY, died at 1.30 a.m. on Friday.

Deceased, who was in his 73rd year, was a native of COOKSTOWN, COUNTY TYRONE, IRELAND. He came to Adelaide with his parents in 1850, and shortly after their arrival in this State his father started a blacksmith's and wheelwright's business. Young McGorrey, then 10 years old, was immediately put to work shoeing horses, and when 18 years old he went to Victoria, and defeated the champion horseshoer of New South Wales and Victoria, Mitchell and Ryan. He saw Bourke and Wills start on their ill-fated trip, and shortly afterwards received a letter from his father, asking him to return to Adelaide and join the McDouall- Stuart party. He accepted the offer, and on October 16, 1861, left with the party of that explorer, which consisted of nine other men and 71 horses.

On July 25 of the following year the explorers reached the northern coast of Australia. Next day they started back, and reached Adelaide again on January 21, 1863.

Mr. McGorrey then resumed his trade on the West Coast, and up to within a few months ago was employed by Mr. T. P. Cash, of Calca station. For four months he was an inmate of Bungalow private hospital, at Streaky Bay, and was subsequently removed to Adelaide. On December 21 last, Mr. Heath Nash, another of the explorers, died. This leaves only two survivors, Stephen King, of Norwood, and John Billiatt, of Devon, England.

Noted Benefactor Passes; a Loss to Community

With the passing of MR. W. R.[William Robert] BLACK yesterday Queensland has lost one of its most notable philanthropists. Mr. Black entered St. Martin's hospital 15 days ago, suffering from heart trouble, and, although seriously ill, his sudden death at 5 o'clock yesterday morning was

The deceased gentleman was born in March, 1859, in COUNTY TYRONE NORTHERN IRELAND, where his father was a farmer. He arrived in Queensland by the sailing vessel, Silver Light, on May 17, 1880. He worked in the Maryborough district as a timber-getter and fencer, but later came to Brisbane, where he worked for a coal delivery merchant. He commenced business on his own, and, 15 months later, decided to enter the river trade, for which he had to buy lighters and launches. He gradually increased his trade, until he had six steam launches and 20 coal lighters at work. With remarkable foresight, he bought 1600 acres of land at Bundamba and opened a colliery. He equipped the colliery with electric haulage, coal cutting machinery, &c., and the output increased to 600 tons a day - the largest for any colliery in the State. Later, he bought the Caledonian Colliery, reconstructed it, and brought the output up to 300 tons a day. He afterwards bought the Abermain Colliery, spending £8000 on a new railway siding, and £40,000 on a new shaft and machinery. Ten years ago the late Mr. Black decided to retire, and, since then, it is estimated that he has given away £150,000 to churches and charities.


Throughout his life Mr. Black made gifts to practically every Presbyterian congregation in Queensland. Secondary schools were helped substantially, and he was mainly responsible for the erection of Scots College, and the Presbyterian Girls' School at Warwick. The Fairholme School for Boys and the Presbyterian Girls' School at Toowoomba also owe their existence to his generosity. He also assisted the college at Charters Towers, and at Warwick, Toowoomba, and Charters Towers he established bursaries to enable deserving boys and girls to complete their college courses. At the Toowoomba and Warwick colleges he donated funds to provide for medals to be awarded annually. One of his most generous deeds was the establishment of homes for children, one for boys at Oxley and a girls' home at Graceville. He was also responsible for homes for aged people at Oxley and Chelmer. The Salvation Army Home for children at Indooroopilly received assistance when he gave sufficient funds to establish a perpetual revenue to be devoted to the maintenance of orphans in the home for all time. In company with Mr. George Marchant he principally contributed to the erection of the Hotel Canberra, his total contributions amounting to £41,000. That sum was in addition to the money given by him for the ordinary expenses of the Prohibition League. He also assisted the Aged Christian Women's Home, Young Women's Christian Association, St. Andrew's Mission, Spring Hill, Women's Christian Temperance Union, the Mission for Lepers, and the Australian Inland Mission. Included in his many gifts was a large sum donated for the erection of the Anzac War Memorial in Adelaide Street [Brisbane]. Mr. Black was a member of the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, and his many gifts to the church included a centre stained glass window.

The deceased, who was unmarried, is survived by two sisters, Mesdames S. J. PHILLIPS and L. A. BOWERS, of Brisbane, and a niece, MRS. W. H. BLACK residing at COOKSTOWN, NORTH IRELAND

A service will be held in St. Andrew's Church at 2 o'clock this afternoon, at the conclusion of which the funeral will leave for the Toowong Cemetery.


HANNAH HUNTER (nee ARBUCKLE) born STRABANE, Co. Tyrone 1815, died Melbourne 1887

The Argus [Melbourne] July 23 1887

[Died] On the 21st inst., at her residence, Carlisle-street, Auburn, Hawthorn, Hannah, the beloved wife of George Hunter, aged 72 years and six months. A colonist of 46 years. Deeply regretted by a large and sorrowing family.

HANNAH HUNTER (nee ARBUCKLE), born Strabane, Co. Tyrone, January 1815: Parents WILLIAM ARBUCKLE (publican) (c1790-c1833) and SARAH STEVENSON (nee Arbuckle) (c1790-1833). Known siblings: MARGARET (twin, b.1815), MARY ANN, (1826) ANN (1832) and SARAH (1833). Granddaughters of JOHN ARBUCKLE, linen merchant & schoolmaster (1749-1822) and MARTHA Arbuckle (nee GREEN) (1762-1836)

Sarah Stevenson Arbuckle died December 24 1833 following the birth of daughter Sarah (death announcements published in the Strabane, Londonderry & Belfast newspapers state that the family resided at Calhame on the slopes of Knockavoe, above Strabane). The 1832 Strabane Corporation rate books record that William also occupied a property in Barrack Street, Strabane. Family tradition relates that William died shortly afterwards leaving his five daughters as orphans.

HANNAH married GEORGE HUNTER, a tinsmith c1835; son WILLIAM born 1836. Further son GEORGE baptised Leckpatrick Presbyterian Church, Artigarvan, 1840. Register states their address as Longrow (a long row of houses on the Derry Road, Strabane in Backfence townland, the property of THOMAS BARNHILL).

George and Hannah arrived Melbourne as passengers on the Marquis of Bute (dep. Greenock, Scotland) 1841 as Bounty immigrants (passages had been paid by the colonial government) with two children – WILLIAM & ROBERT (recently baptised George appears to have died). Passenger list records Hannah’s twin MARGARET ARBUCKLE, a nursemaid, amongst the single females. However Robert was not the child of George and Hannah; when Margaret married at Wesley Chapel, Melbourne 1843 she declared that she was a widow, her name being Barnall. Son ROBERT BARNHILL married Caulfield, Melbourne 1860; his marriage certificate states that he was a native of Streban, Tyrone, Ireland born 1838, and his parents as THOMAS BARNHILL (the landlord) and MARGARET ARR BUCKLE (Thomas Barnhill had married JANE LOWTHER (1804-1896) in 1831).

Younger sisters MARY ANN, ANN and SARAH arrived in Melbourne February 1850 amongst a group of girls from Strabane workhouse on the Derwent as Famine Orphans (almost 5,000 young girls were despatched to the Australian colonies from Irish workhouses 1848-50) – passages paid by colonial governments. The register of the Female Immigrants’ Barracks in Melbourne states that unlike all Famine Orphans, the Arbuckle sisters were not offered employment or apprenticeships (an absolute requirement) but were “Gone. Taken home by their brother-in-law George Hunter of Flinders Lane [Melbourne]”.

Hannah died at Hawthorn, Melbourne 22/7/1887 aged 72 years and was interred in the Church of England section of the Boroondara Cemetery, Kew. She was the mother of 10 children and grandmother to in excess of fifty living grandchildren; her personal estate was valued at £1,055/13/10. George died East Hawthorn, Melbourne 1889 aged 77 years.