Official Website of the Co. Tyrone Mail List
Newtownstewart - Pigot's Directory, 1824


CoTyroneHeadstone_logo (5K)
Click banner to submit/search the Project!

Newtownstewart - Pigot's Directory, 1824
Extracted from Pigot & Co.’s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory

Transcribed, compiled and submitted by Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
len_swindley[at]hotmail.com



NEWTOWNSTEWART

Newtownstewart is a small neat town in the county of Tyrone, pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Strule, which, about two miles below, forms a junction with the Derg, and then changing its name to Mourne, proceeds on and empties itself into the Foyle at Lifford; in this river there is a great abundance of salmon, trout etc. It is 92 miles north-north-west of Dublin, seven north-north-west of Omagh, seven south south-west of Strabane and 19 south of Londonderry. Adjoining the town there are the remains of an old castle, about the date of the erection of which history is silent: and at the bottom of the Main Street are the ruins of a castle which James II slept in on his march to the Seige of Derry, in the year of 1690; a few days after he returned, and destroyed it by fire. At the upper end of the town stands the church, a small, but neat stone edifice with a high spire, from which there is a fine view of the surrounding country; the present rector is Rev. Richard H. Nash. Besides the church there are two Methodist, and one Presbyterian meeting house, and a Catholic chapel. The charitable institutions are a dispensary, and a Protestant and a Methodist Sunday school. About three miles from the town is Baron’s Court Castle, the magnificent mansion of the Marquis of Abercorn. The market day is Monday; the fairs are held on March 28th, June 2nd, October 10th and December 11th. The population is about 700.

 

NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY

BURGOYNE Sir John James, Baronscourt

CAMPBELL John, Esq., Cottage

COLHOUNE Crawford, Esq., Cross

CORN Thomas, Esq.

CRAWFORD Major Jones

McFARLAND Armour, Esq., Straree

NASH Rev. R. H., rector, Moyle House

NOBLE, William, Esq., Deer Park

RICE Rev. Edward William, curate

STIRLING Rev. Edward R., Gortin

 

POST OFFICE

Postmistress:

Miss Sarah HAMILTON

The Dublin Mail is despatched at five minutes past eleven in the morning, and arrives at half past two in the afternoon. Letters for Omagh and Castlederg go with the Dublin Mail. The Mails for Strabane and Derry depart at half past two in the afternoon. Letters for England and Scotland go by the Dublin Mail.

 

MERCHANTS, TRADESMEN ETC:

 

PROFESSIONAL GENTLEMEN

IRVINE John, surgeon, R.N., Deer Park

McCONNELL James, surgeon, R.N.

OSBORNE John, surgeon, R.N. (and to the dispensary)

ROGERS George, surgeon

 

MERCHANTS

ADAMS Andrew, (linen)

BOYCE Samuel, (linen)

GILL Jeremiah, (linen)

MATHEWSON Lavens

 

PUBLICANS

DONAUGHY Michael

FULTON Benjamin

HAMILTON Sarah, Hotel

LEARD John

McCONNELL William

McELREA James

McFEETERS William

McMACKIN James

McMENAMIN William

McPHILOMY John

STARK James

WILSON Henry

WRIGHT Alexander, King’s Arms

 

SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, ETC

ANDERSON Robert, grocer

BARTON, Irvine & King, manufacturers of spades and shovels

BEATTY John, earthenware dealer

CRAWFORD Andrew, clerk of the parish

EAKIN A., saddler and harness maker

KERR James, grocer

McDONNELL Rebecca, milliner

McELREA James, baker

McFEETERS William, baker

MARSHALL Samuel, grocer

MORRISON William, baker

O’KANE John, grocer

SPEER Samuel, watch and clock maker

WHITE David, leather seller

WHITE Humphrey, leather seller

WRIGHT Rebecca & Mary, milliners



Return to County Tyrone's Home Page